New England Youth Theatre (NEYT)
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
NEYT fosters the growth of young people through the practice of theatre arts in a welcoming, youth-centered community.
NEYT is a where theater professionals partner with students in all aspects of creating dramatic works. Mentorship, collaboration, and community building are at the heart of everything we do.
NEYT is the proud owner of a 12,000 sq. ft. building, with a 140-seat theater, lighting booth, four classrooms, green room, costume and set shops, lobby, and box office. NEYT offers theater training for students ages 7-19 through productions, classes and apprenticeships.
For more information and a full description of our programs, visit www.neyt.org
Job title: Technical Director
Job classification: Full Time, flexible hours
Reports to: Executive Director
At NEYT, the Technical Director is responsible for both the production management and the scenic shop activity in support of productions and classes throughout the year. This person executes the design & build of scenic elements within constraints of technical and budget possibilities – often with a student team of apprentices and always in collaboration with the creative teams on each project.
This position coordinates the mentoring program in Technical Theatre & Scenic Design and promotes student apprenticeship. They manage visiting artist mentors and facilitate the growth of students interested in the technical arts. They also collaborate with the Associate Technical Director to schedule and meet the needs of renters.
TECHNICAL DIRECTION & SCENIC ARTS
• Manage and/or execute the build, installation and removal of all sets and scenery necessary to mount NEYT productions.
• Collaborate with visiting designer and/or director to facilitate design of shows within each project’s perimeters and budget restrictions.
• Plan and manage the season budget for scenic department
• Mentor and teach fundamentals of scenic design, theatrical set building, and props construction.
• Coordinate the Mentorship Program in Technical Theatre
• Uphold aesthetic priorities and facilitate educational goals.
• Maintain a safe environment and train youth in all safety aspects of tool and chemical use.
• Train, supervise, and sometimes assist running crews for their responsibilities during performances.
• Regular upkeep of shop inventory (paint and building materials)
• Actively promote the technical theatre program
• Coordinate with other theatre personnel to ensure the efficiency of the production process
• Schedule and chair 4-6 production meetings within course of project
• Maintain & share notes on technical issues, pending decisions, etc
• Coordinate timeline of tasks to bring production elements in on time
• Liaison between the cast, crew, and director.
• Manage communications with crew, Stage Management & families.
• Schedule photo days and cast/crew photos
• Manage schedule and upkeep of classroom space
• Collaborate with Associate Technical Director on rental agreements, rental scheduling, and serving needs of renters
The Technical Director will be thoroughly committed to NEYT’s mission and aesthetic values. The successful candidate will be skilled in theatrical building techniques with a basic knowledge of scenic painting. This person is comfortable with and committed to working with school age children. Desirable experience and characteristics include:
• Ability to work effectively in collaboration with a diverse group of people
• Compassionate and collaborative approach to working with students, families, and staff.
• Motivated, self-directed self-starter
• Creative, optimistic, and flexible team player with strong communication skills
• Scenic design & building skill
• Degree in theatre, education, or related field preferred
• At least 5 years of theater experience
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
NEYT CORE VALUES
We believe in the creative force of youth as artists, learners, and community members. At NEYT, we help young people thrive in a community where they are trusted collaborators. Experienced mentors empower young people to meet the challenges theatre work puts before us. We believe the difficulties and joys that emerge from this complex collaboration facilitate resilience and independence. NEYT is for youth and by youth.
At NEYT, everyone is welcome. We work to foster a culture of belonging and mutual respect through the practice of honesty, patience, and empathy. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds and abilities - and value the perspectives of all our partners. We are dedicated to having a physical space that is accessible to all and strive to offer programs that meet a wide variety of interest and need.
HIGH-QUALITY PRACTICE IN THEATRE ARTS
NEYT offers young people the opportunity to engage in an environment where we strive for artistic excellence. We balance the demands of both process and product. Our young people acquire tangible skills in the broad range of theatre arts. We recruit and retain practicing artists, educators, and staff to support students in creating brave, exemplary theatre experiences.
NEYT is a place where youth experience and express the joy of creativity with others. We intentionally use play as a creative catalyst. It is an integral part of making art and growing community.
Playfulness allows us to explore, discover, respond… and opens the door to creative force.